Friday, November 2, 2007

I hate flat images.

Mapping the territories. Mapping out Hearing and Sound {noise}.

Possible titles: listen

sound diaries

The processes of turning my sense of hearing into a coherent and visually stimulating map format have been long and difficult. Representations of the sound are subjective, and it is still unknown whether they will be taking the form of organic lines or typography. Although these aspects still must be solidified, it will be measured in a time line of sorts. After Friday’s session, I researched some Concrete Poetry, which led to Visual Poetry topics and then finally to the concept of Lettrism. With no means of recording the sounds this weekend because the rental place was closed and I was out of town and out of Internet I only had my notebook and pen to write down the things I heard and thereby transcribing their sounds. My first idea was to record all the sounds in, or that found their way into my room, indicating the source, type, and volume. The idea couldn’t be carried through, however, because the sounds would be repetitive and predictable. Noises such as the six o’clock drum and bass that blasts through the corridor of my hall flat, and the chattering outside my window at three in the morning were originally to be mapped. I decided to then record the sounds of my entire day, by time, taking note of whether I interacted with the sound, or was forced to listen to it. Hopefully, hand cut, handset, and/or hand drawn typography are options in executing the final product in an attempt to get away from the computer.


Notes:
... defined concrete poetry as writing that "begins by being aware of graphic space as a structural agent", so that words or letters can be juxtaposed, not only in relation to each other but ... to the page area as a whole.

The Lettrist worked on the level of the letter at the heart of what they believed to be an experiential language that was to be the basis of their new culture. Their Lexique Des Lettres Nouvelles, for example was a sonic alphabet of a 130 or so sounds from which a new natural language was to spring from and from which they composed their poetry. Isou along with his chief lieutenant, Maurice Lemaitre, worked out a notational style that resembled that of traditional, 'common-practice' music, sometimes even with staffs, bar lines, and dynamic markings. Lettrist poetry was also often performed by choral groups.






This is the START of my new map layout.
The ones posted below are totally bogus. I had a spin wheel idea as well that I still might do. But I like this one best.

I am currently uploading two days worth of sound from the MD Recorder onto my laptop.
I am glad this project is not subjective after all.

Transcribing the sound and dialog is going to take me YEARS. I'll do it though.
I can't wait till all the type setting is done.

I am finally getting sorta excited about this.
Also, very frustrated!

A close up of recorded dialog (done before sound because sound will need more time)

No comments: